Trans Am Series - Official Announcement

Announcing the Infinite Garage Trans Am series.

We're going to be running one of our traditional series and spend some time with vintage muscle pounding around American road courses. We'll be focusing on the glory days of the series (i.e. 1968 to 1972). For a little history of the real life series (and plenty of great photos) check out this link: Working Class Heroes: Why I love Trans AM

Click here to signup!

The Cars:

American Muscle car from 1968-1972
B600
500hp max
2800lb minimum weight
no assists!! (with the exception of auto-clutch)
Click here for the full build spec: Trans Am build spec

Having trouble deciding on a car?
Click here for the test data: Raw test data

Please have a livery/race paint on the car. At minimum make sure you have a race number on the right and left side of the car.

Schedule:

Official test and tune on February 24 at 7pm PST bring a car or two and get some practice in once the first official race occurs you will not be able to change cars.

All races take place at 7pm PST. Lap count and track variant are subject to change up to 24hrs before race time.

• March 2 | Lime Rock | 25 Laps
  • March 9 | Road America | 15 Laps
  • March 16 | Watkins Glen Short Alt | 2 x 13 laps
  • March 23 | Road Atlanta | 20 laps
  • March 30 | Laguna Seca | 20 laps
  • April 6 | Sonoma Short | 2 x TBD
Rules and Regs:

Races will start at 7pm PST please make sure you're there on time out of respect to our East Coast members.

Lobby:
On race night the lobby will have restrictions set to reflect the series car specs. Please ensure that you're car build is legal before joining the lobby on race night.

Driving and visual aids are forced off (with the exception of auto-clutch). These include ABS, TCS, STM and the braking line.

The end timer will be set to ensure that all racers have a chance to finish.

Races will have a mandatory pitstop in which your car must come to a complete stop and refuel. Mandatory pitstops must be taken before the last lap. Not taking the mandatory pitstop (or taking it on the last lap) will result in a 10 spot penalty.

Double race nights will not require pit stops (I'll do my best to make sure the distances don't force the thirstier cars to pit).

Racing:
Please review the Rules of Clean Racing. While not everything is relevant to Forza, it provides a good basis for courteous and clean racing.

Remember, the race isn't won in the first corner! That being said, sometimes things happen and restart may be called if there are a significant number of cars involved in a first lap incident.

1st - 15
2nd - 12
3rd - 10
4th - 8
5th - 6
6th - 4
7th - 2
8th - 1

There will also be one bonus point awarded for both the fastest certified and uncertified lap time.
On nights were there are two races,full points are awarded for each race. Bonus points are not awarded on double race nights.

Results:
Click the link below for the results spreadsheet.
Results

Don't forget to signup!
Click here to signup!

Post any questions and comments in the thread below.

Comments

• Sweet. I'm in.
  • For mostly aesthetic reasons, but also historical accuracy, may we allow up to a 15" wheel?
  • I'm debating that. I want to say most of the eligible cars have 15" wheels already?

As you might have guess it's so the cars look like this:

instead of this:
  • I built four cars last night, most were stuck with 14" wheels.
    The AMC in particular looks almost comical with such tiny wheels.
  • The Dan Gurney Cuda has to be one of the coolest race cars of all time. That scheme is all 70s.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 393
    Making a little progress on getting things organized for this series.

Due to popular demand, and aesthetic sensibilities, max wheel diameter is 15" (spec sheet has been updated) I'l double check but I don't think there are any cars with stock wheels larger than that.

a list of all potential cars: (I've built them all to spec but haven't done much testing yet)

AMC Javelin-AMX
    AMC Rebel "The Machine"
    Buick GSX
    Chevrolet Corvette C3 ZR-1
    Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    Chevrolet Chevelle Super Sport 454
    Chevrolet El Camino Super Sport 454
    Chevrolet Nova Super Sport 396
    Chevrolet Camaro Super Sport Coupe
    Dodge Coronet Super Bee
    Dodge Challenger R/T
    Dodge Charger Daytona HEMI
    Dodge Charger R/T
    Dodge Dart HEMI Super Stock
    Mercury Cougar Eliminator
    Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds 442
    Plymouth Cuda 426 Hemi
    Plymouth GTX 426 Hemi
    Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    Pontiac GTO Judge
    and a couple of Fords

Still working on the track list.

Debating on whether or not to run a support series (plan on it being something slow and vintage).

Still working on finalizing the points structure.

Information about testing added to OP.
  • We could do a under 2.0L class as the Vintage Muscle ran in the over 2.0L class. Other option would be ETCC group 2. Both of these I think are period correct options?
  • I'm not usually up for a pre-class. I would rather just tack 3-5 laps to the main race.
  • I'm kind of in the same mindset to be honest. A lot of it has to do with the current lobby structure. It's a real pain in the ass to change lobby settings and you can't really run a qualifier since there aren't any usable lobby points anymore.
  • FYI I'm going to be around tonight for a little T/A testing and probably some general Forzacating if you're interested hop in the lobby.
  • Updated OP with official signup information! Get yourselves prepared.

Official test and tune next Wednesday the 24th at our traditional time.

First race is the following Wednesday, March 2!!
  • Did a little advertising on the Forza Reddit. I'd love a large field for these races!

Let's race!
  • Nice, I was going to do the same, as well as mining my friends list on live.
  • Thanks for getting this going Reno. Hope to be back in action by the start date. Long live the V8s!
  • I know you're shooting for somewhat realistic tracks. If that's the case then the only choice for Sonoma is the GP. NASCAR course didn't exist 20 years ago. Much less the IndyCar ribbon.
  • Yeah, that's probably the way I'm leaning. I just need to run a few laps and determine what format I want for that round.
  • Just FYI, the signup form is missing both Mustangs.
  • That's because they suck!!! :p

Thanks for catching that Capt. I'll get it sorted.
  • Winningness.
  • Pretty good test session tonight. Seems like we're on track to have a decent little series starting next week.

Also, for those that are interested I shared a couple of versions of the Infinite Garage logo on the storefront. They should be easy to find, they're probably the only things I've share up to this point. :p
    Updated OP with points structure and more current event schedule.

Don't forget to signup! Race night is in two days!
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 0
    Trying to make this series... always a favorite.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 0
    Testing
    Good racing tonight fellas. I'll post some rules updates later this week and then we're ready for Road America.

Results are updated.
  • Great series introduction Reno. All your hard work put into it certainly shows. Exors and guests put on some nice racing for InfiniteGarage... looking forward to more.
    Some pics from the last race.

Yackje getting some glory on the 1st lap.

Feuerdog and Ace

Rocker, before he got deathproofed in the 1st corner.

Diesel and USDMDrifter battling it out.

Trans Am Aussie style!

It's important to use all the curbs.

And some of the tires.

Feuerdog working hard into the 1st corner.

Metalburn leading the pack with the Cougar which apparently has a vacuum leak .

Phantom's looking a little beat up.

Pop getting some of the High Life.

Teneil and USDMDrifter.

Fixed a couple of incorrect dates. Updated rules. See you guys tomorrow night.
    Hey guys, I've got to cover for some one tonight at work. I should still be able to make the race on time but I apologize in advance if I'm a few minutes late.
    After a quick restart, the race went fairly well. A little more bumping and grinding, but a close finish.
    Good stuff.